Our Heritage

History Banner.jpg

Company History

It all began in the 1920'S when Bert Shorter founded the Shorters Car Sales, Selling mainly used cars from imported from the UK, like the Auburn Cord.

Shortland Sheet.jpg
Shorters.jpg
Archibald.jpg
Shortlandstreet_2.jpg

Shorter Car Sales acquired the Jaguar franchise.

Shorters Car Sales in Shortland Street expanded to selling Jaguar, Citroen and Singer.

Shorters Car Sales branched out to sell Volvo, Alpha Romeo, Honda and Nissan

as well as BMW.

Opened a second branch in Greenlane called Shorters Cars Sales (233 Great South Road) Selling Jaguar, Nissan, Volvo, Alpha Romeo and Citroen.

Volvo Greenlane.jpg
Greenlane.jpg
Greenlane_2.jpg
Greenlane_3.jpg

Giltrap Group and John Fairhall from Archibald's in Christchurch invest in joint ownership of Archibald and Shorter in Greenlane, Auckland.

Due to lack of space, both branches moved to 550 Great South Road, Greenlane

(Where the business currently is).

Richard Holden and Jerry Clayton set up Roverland at 20 Wairau Road, Glenfield, Auckland.

Richard Holden bought Jerry Clayton's share and owned Roverland.

Merged Archibald and Shorter Greenlane with Roverland on the Shore

to make a combined company.

Volvo opening.jpg
Volvo Opening_3.jpg
Volvo Opening_1.jpg
Volvo Opening 3.jpg

The brand new, state of the art Volvo showroom opened at 550 Great South Road, Greenlane

Giltrap Group become the main shareholders in Archibald and Shorter Roverland and have re-branded both dealerships to be called Archibald and Shorter Auckland and

Archibald and Shorter North Shore.

The brand new state of the art Jaguar showroom opened at 550 Great South South Road.

IMG_1480.jpg
IMG_1481.jpg
IMG_1479.jpg
IMG_1482.jpg